Monday, June 19, 2023

Testamoniel/Chapter four/Returning to Marin County 1967/Peter Romanowsky CEO/President of the New Covenant Evangelistic Association Inc.

Upon arriving back in Marin County, where I attended Redwood High School and lived in Larkspur for a couple of years before moving with my parents as a teenager back to Los Angeles and then hitchhiking back to Marin County after another couple of years, I arrived back home to Marin County. Penniless and with only the clothes on my back and not even a day pack and I found a dollar bill on the  freeway on ramp, on the Ventura Freeway and that was my ticket home,  hitchhiking back Marin County, where I still had friends and a brother living also there and yet I was also homeless and a runaway at seventeen and had to start from scratch and I went down to the old Charles Van Damme ferry boat bar and dance floor in Sausalito of which was the hottest spot in Marin County at one time for gigs and bands and was the Fillmore Auditorium of Marin County and I was there in the evening until the night and there was hardly anybody there and nobody was dancing on the dance floor and the thrill was  gone and this was the end of 1967 and the Summer of Love and I saw a man with long dark hair, thin and reasonably well-dressed a just holding onto a post and shaking his long black hair and  head back and forth and was definitely tripping and grooving on the music but that was about the only thing I remember, other than the memories of it being a two story dance hall and bar back in the mid-60s and so sitting there alone and of course broke and had just run away from home after the Summer of Love and from West Valley Los Angeles and a beautiful blonde waitress ask me if I had a place to spend the night and I told her no told her no and she said that I could come and stay on her houseboat for the night! So after work she took me behind the Charles Van Damme, to wooden dock and planks and we went to her beautiful little houseboat and she took off all her clothes and got in the bed without saying a word and my word, for I didn't know what to do or how to react and so I just took off all my clothes and got in bed with her and lay next to her she had her back to me and I put my hand on her hip and that's the last thing I remember. I fell asleep and I woke up and she was gone and I was there alone and her beautiful little and comfortable houseboat and being young and dumb and polite and being raised religious by my mother. I didn't want to hang out and take advantage of her hospitality and so I got dressed and left with a beautiful memory of a beautiful woman that took me in and was not afraid of me and not ashamed to be a human being and from there I eventully connected with a female friend of mine Sally from Mill Valley and ended up sleeping in her dad's sports car parked down the street, of which was really cramped and  in the winding Hills of the woods of Mill Valley and when her parents went to sleep, she would have me come in downstairs to her bedroom and let me sleep in bed with her and when her mother came down to check on her she would hide me in the closet and in the closet and I noticed there the names of the others that she had hidden there before me and I thought "Oh Sally" and what a go getter and rescuer and what a hot looking chick she was and smart as a whip and she eventually had me shoplifting for her and kind of took care of me and but I had developed a craving for methamphetamine and that was off the chart for her and I tried to hide the fact but one day  while sitting in a chair inher bedroom, she basically asked me, if I was on it and I said "yes" that I was and she hit the proverbial ceiling and our relationship was over and what really hurt was that she replaced me with some dorky looking guy, to take my place "ouch" and it was the first time in my life that my heart was broken and I know some of you know the feeling for she was really good looking and short and stocky and hot with her bleached blonde hair and handsome looks and so I moved on from pillar to post and my brother couldn't help me because he was staying with an alcoholic friend that my parents left him with after moving back to Los Angeles and while he was studying in Berkeley Universary and supporting himself, delivering newspapers from his vehicle and my old and best friend Jeff Diaz was the only close friend that I had left in Marin County and he couldn't take me in for he still lived with his parents and eventually I got a dishwashing job at the Danish retirement home in San Rafael called the Aldersly Danish Retirement home and I washed and I ate well and shared an apartment with someone that went to the same school as me called Redwood High, in Corte Madera in Marin County (same school as Robin Williams and Governor Galvin  Neusome) and he worked at a gas station and wore a uniform and one day a friend of mine showed up and said that he found an old girlfriend and she's living with three other girls in a hillside and secluded wooded Redwood Commune and asked me to come along with him to the house  and I  immediately I fell in love with the place and it was a brand new house nestled in a Redwood canyon with Ferns, flowers and deer with  sash and glass walls and picture windows and I was in heaven on earth and I hooked up with one of the girls, who was the sister of Terry Hagerty the lead guitar player for the Sons of Chaplin named  Linda and we were together for a while and we're not really compatible because both of us had very short fuses and  fiery tempers and my future wife used to listen to us argue in the bedroom next to us and wondering why we were even together and what was the purpose and so eventually, my future wife and I became girlfriend and boyfriend and I became the Alpha Dog male of the commune and because she. Becky was the only one that had a part-time job and was paying the rent as a dishwater, for rent was so cheap back then that one could rent a luxury and hillside home as a part time dishwasher in the Hippie and and artist coffee shope where the Bohiemiens gathered called the "Kettle" in Sausalito and my friend Linda and my best bud and his  girlfriend kept partying, as we did every night with a house full of  500 record albums and a hugh stereo system, that someone had just bought who was on his way to Vietnam because when you sign up they give you a bonus and a lot of people bought things like a car or a stereo system and such as an incentive to getting drafted and a lesser place in the military and he left in our care and  we partied every night and drink wine and smoked pot and shoplifted for food 
 and basically life was one big party and my future wife kept to herself in her bedroom and eventually and was not involed with our constant partying and such and eventualy I got a part time job together with Becky to help pay the rent for I was fired from Aldersly retirement home, after breaking some dishes in protest or or anger or spite or mischief and or all of the above (for I was not yet a Born Again Christian) as another employee was doing and I was emulating him when he got frustrated and nothing happened to him, so I  got fired for he was breaking dishes periodically by throwing them on the floor and he was a favorite of the owners of the retirement home for some reason and so just in time my friend, showed up to tell me about this commune and we basically just moved in with the girls and camped out in the living room and it was all wonderful and beautiful and fun and one of the girls was a close relative of President Nixon and gets invited to his Birthday partys and my girlfriend Becky was the youngest daughter of a Marin County Supervisor name (the late) Ernest Nile Kettenhofen and she didn't join us in the partying and reveling and playing strip poker and such for she was much more shy and moderate and would get drunk or tipsy once a week on Wednesdays and wuld come home and open the door and would kiss me while and run off to her bedroom and I thought that was sweet beautiful and "I think she likes me"  I said you myself, I believe she likes me and for my relationship with Linda it was going on the rocks and the close relative of Richard Nixon, eventually moved on and it was just basically my best friend his girlfriend and Becky in the house living in the Commue. For Linda had moved on also and I remember one day my friend and his girlfriend and I had taken some LSD and she was having a bad trip and a Baptist Christian who had picked hichinking sometime before, showed up with coffee and donuts to take me to church because  before I gave him permission to come and take me to Church on Sundays and I didn't think he'd show up and when he showed up this peace from the Lord, came into the house and my friends girlfriend, all of a sudden became calm and peaceful and the torment look on her face left and I went to church with him. The First Baptist Church of Sausalito and he would come every week and take me there with his coffee and donuts and  mean while, I was getting letters from my mother in Southern California about her being miraculously healed and delivered at a Katheryn Kuhlmen Miracle Service, at The Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, where the Academy Awards were given at the time and  she was delivered from her periodic alcoholism and rheumatoid arthritis of which she suffered from for she would have lost weekends. For my parents had owned a bar called the Happy Hour, on a Ventura Boulevard in the Encino California and the reason that my mother was suffering from severe and black depression was after having many children and a couple of spinals that doctors gave her when child birthing and eventually she had massive migraines and depression to deaden the pain of childbirth at the time they petal a footlong needle up your spine and basically temorarily paralyzed and she said that is what caused her depression and emotional pain and she even tried it take a handful of pills, to take her life and she miraculously coughed them back out. After I was arrested and found naked and drunk I  somebodys car and put into a straight jacket and tied to a pole in the local West Valley Police Station and drunk out of my mind cursing and swearing at the cops and trying to get them to flip out and shoot me at the time and feeling suicidal (suicide by cops) and while my mother was suffering and raising her many children, my dad was a hard-working and hard drinking White Russian immigrant, who loved to drink also and raising eventually ten living children and so and I was the second oldest and it was time for me to move on and make room and that's one reason I hitchhiked out of Tarzana California, when I was seventeen  and came back up to what is called colloquially,  Marvelous Marin County and reconnected and well anyways, here I was in this commune and living it up and it got down to just Becky and my best friend and his girlfriend, for the other two girls had moved on like I fefore mentioned and I loved Linda my first lady friend in the commune and she will always be in my heart and memory and we were just too alpha dog human beings, that clashed mentally and emotionally and verbally and never physicallyand I saw her many years later in front of a supermarket in San Rafael California and it was nice to see her again and looking good and making  contact with her again and she also was the co-founder of the Sleeping Lady Cafe in Fairfax and used to perform there in a singing choir that regularly preformed there from what I understand and going back to say that her brother was the lead guitar player for Sons of Chaplain and so music was in her family and in her bones and genes and she, no doubt still is still  happy somewhere and looking forward to seeing her again someday  and Roseanne,  the one that was a close cousin to Richard Nixon moved on eventually and there we were just three of us left in the house and when this member of the First Baptist Church of Sausalito a Southern Baptist Church who had come back to pick me up for church had arrived and while my friend's girlfriend Lorraine, was having a bad trip on acid had completely calm down, when he entered the room, as "I mentioned before" for the Bible says,  when you come into a house bless this place and your peace of God, will fill the house, if one receives the messenger and if one 
don't receive o e for instance, then may the peace of God be taken with you and the peace of God fell on us and that was an early experience of a miracle for me and got me even more interested in going to church, with him Sundays and I hadn't yet become a Born Again Christian as before mentioned and by accepting the Lord Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior and willing to let go of any last besetting sin a Marijuanna habit that I have been clinging to and turned it over to the Lord. In my heart and mind and askiing only for something better in its place, (for it had become my idol/god and forbidden fruit and  I Was Born Again by the Holy Ghost in Jesus Holy Name for it was the only thing that made me happy, it was my only antidepressant in life for I had failed to keep hard drugs out of our commune when  eventually, when these young handsome and wel dressed men who had  came from New York City and said they had something called religious acid and I took some and yes it made me feel calm and non hallucinogenic and I don't know what it was cut with or how it was made but looking back it made me feel like a Born Again Christian, but of course the effects wore off and the downside or withdrawal set in and it was an up and down experience that didn't last and  so I took this LSD on and off for about a week or so and one day I met a young man who had a cheap looking Japanese electric guitar with broken strings (back then growing up we l laughed at anything made in Japan and we laugh no more) and he said he had just stolen it from a friend and offered it to me for sale and I thought he was kidding and playing around and I gave him a capsule of LSD for it and went home and then lo and behold the police show up at my door and a Sergeant named Oliva and his lieutenant and I opened the door  and they pushed thier way into our home without a warrant and without being in Hot Pursuit and then handcuffed me on the sofa, as they confiscated a huge floor model  Hookah Pipe, that we had never really used,  because it took too much marijuana to fill and they took a Harley-Davidson dender from the basement,  for one had been stripped and stolen allegedly from a Hells Angel's girlfriend and I had nothing to do with it and the Fender guitar, so they took me down to the San San Anselmo police station and put this stuff on display, on a table and gloating, like "oh" this is a big bust for them and we got Peter yhe pteverbial Hippie from the commue and they didn't even know me, and to them I was just another hippie "scum bag" and they booked me and photographed me and the City Hall, of the main town in Marin County called San Rafael, at the Old Courthouse and my future father-in-law had heard of my arrest,because I was dating his daughter and that she was hanging out with a hippie from the commune and wanted to see what I look like and  so his inpression of me was an image of me, was a mugshot. For he was a Marin County Supervisor and the Supervisors were in charge of the jail so he had access to go into the jail see my mugshot and I was given a public defender named Brainerd and instead of defending me properly, by saying it was an illegal search and seizure without a warrant or hot pursuit  he persuaded me to plead guilty to misdemeanor, receiving of stolen property and I had just turned eighteen and this was my first adult crimminal record and put me  on an informal probation and that was the end of that and but I was totally  demoralized. For I felt like that I had failed the commune,  for I had said in my heart I would never let hard drugs come into that commune, like uppers or downers or any powders or Meth or LSD and the only wine and Marijuana and in those days Marijuanna was pretty weak and you had to smoke a number of joints to get high and here I was taking LSD again, of which I had sworn in my heart that I would never take again and so.much for will power or the power of positive thinking alone and without the power of the New Birth in Christ and poor, by God's mercy patience a year before, I had been deluvered from a Meth addiction by y he laying on of the hands of elders at a Chrismatic prayer meeting, in a side Chapel at the now famous mother church of the Fourquare Pentecostal Denomination in down town Los Angeles called the Los Angeles Cathedral founded by the women pastor and Evangelist, Amie Semple McPherson and her mother and that she had brought Pentecostalism into the Mainstream, like Elvis Presly who was so raised in a Pentecoastal Church by his mother and a little known fact for all you Elvis Presley fans, and while the Elders prayed and laid hands on me a d were speaking and praying in tongues, out loud with passion and contorted faces (for I had never heard of speaking or praying in  tongues before), and the. I felt warm and felt like I needed to go out into the night and even throw my cigarettes away and saying in my 
 heart "away with such things" and afterwards fell tight back into s.oking, but a strange thing happened after I got home too my shared apartment, with a fellow student from my Marin County High School days,for a couple of friends show up at my apartment door a few days later and said that they had some crystal meth of which was rare in those days, in 1967 and I was tempted to drop the dope orally, I stead of shooting it, of which was the norm in those days (for this was a new thing for me) and I felt so sick after they left that I thought that I was going to die, from paranoia and that my heart would fail and or have an heart attack and even thought that my friends poisoned me, in my paranoia for Methadrine paranoia is different from Marijuanna paranonia and is much worse and effects the brain,  or destroys the brain, in a different way, then other drugs and that's one reason why, methheads tend to carry knives and  but when someone overdoses on  Marijunna it tends to just make people more axirious from to much ingestion and is the usual cause, because some people smoke to much at once, expecting an immediate high, of which takes about at leat ten minutes from the time to get pain free or high snd witb edibles it can take a hour or so and easy to overdose on brownies, for instance and last I check sith the Center for Desease control, nobody died last year, as a direct result of a Marijuanna overdose, here in 2023 for exams whole people are dying from over the counter drugs, like Tylonal for instance, from residual effects, like liver failer or eating of peanut butter by those who are allergic of it and get the juist of it and while while forty thousand people a year, die from overdoses on pharmaceutical medicines,  on the streets and by prescriptions and about forty thousand people die of alcoholism a year als and but the biggest killer is tobacco two hundred and fifty thousand people a year and now phentenol, is the second biggest killer behind tobbaco and more then, pharmaceuticals, over the counter and on the streets, is my educated and researched option and I never have taken any form of Methadrine (created and popularized by the Nazis)  Benzadrine (truck driver pills) or Dexidrine (diet pills) and here I was busted,  for trading a cap of acid,  for a guitar of which the snitch never mentioned the LSD trade and so I was in a real funk. For I thought I had failed the commune and had failed myself and  failed my girlfriend Becky and I failed my future  father-in-law and my parents and I was very deppressed and discouraged about not being able to living a good, decent and clean and productive life and while I was still sharing an apartment with my aquaitance, from Redwoid High school  at the time from my distant memory, I enrolled in College of  Marin (in which school also a famous Comedian named Robbin Williams failed in a talent contest) and I took the ownly class available left open to me called Family and  Marriage and I got to "B" plus and I think like  that's another story and also I tried to improve my life. The best I could in general and I would  go to school hitchhiking barefoot too College of Marin and now here I was in this digressing in the commue, later and quite frankly getting burned out from the daily partying and unemployment and shoplifting to eat for we never dreamed or thought of checking the supermarket downstairs in those days and of course my then girlfriend Becky was never involved in any of that and it was my first girlfriend Sally that taught me how to shoplift and again that's another story in itself how someone could make you go into a store and shoplift for them that's a lot of power over people I'd say and of course I showed up her in County with nothing nada and zero and I had to climb up from the very depths and inch by engine step by step in and getting a job is a dishwasher and running an apartment and then blowing all of that ending up in a commune with four girls which was heaven on earth at the time and now things were catching up on me about adult responsibilities and I kept getting these letters from my mother in Southern California how Jesus had healed her from her periodic alcoholism for instance and I healing service and she wanted me to come to the service also and so I thought my mother had lost her mind that she finally went over the edge and her mind had snapped and she had gone happy from all the suffering and childbearing and dealing with my White Russian and hard drinking and hard-workin and I must say also and a very hard worker and a very hard drinker and he managed to pull it all off before he died in a hospital choking on food while in for mine or surgery and the doctor's report said it was heart attack but you know, who has the time to find a lawyer and who has the money if you can't find one pro bono and so that was that and so on, but nothing is ever finished...to be continued for continued support ministering and feeding, the hard working and low income working waterfront community of Sausalito California support through Zelle or Cash App or mail too the New Covenant Evangelistic Association Inc.P.O.Box 2404 San Anselmo California 94979

No comments:

Post a Comment