Monday, February 19, 2024

40 years living in Waterworld on San Francisco Bay by Peter Romanowsky

Chapter 2 40 years moving in Waterworld on San Francisco Bay The Dark Night of the Soul after unexpectedly receiving divorce papers from my wife and being given 72 hours to leave my luxury Garden home with redwoods and three children mildly company was a man who still had a fragment of a bullet in his head after being shot by a drunk and insane man thinking that he was molesting his granddaughter and we drove off into the night on Thanksgiving evening and first Thanksgiving that I was planning to have with my side of the family in 16 years and not even having a Christmas with my side of the family for when I was planning it my late mother-in-law called and beg that we would come back and have Christmas with her in her estate in San Anselmo and so we left going back home and not realizing this would be the last Christmas or Thanksgiving ever spent with my side of the family and we drove into the night into the dark and I was having very dark thoughts and I told a lawyer before I left that I felt like buying a gun and of course I was having suicidal thoughts and murder starts at the same time for my in-laws and I knew I had to get out of town and so me and my first American friend who had been shot in the head and was slightly paralyzed in the one arm and my only companion drove off across the desert of California into the Nevada and somewhere along the way on Thanksgiving night in the cold and The Bleak we stopped at a truck stop and had a Thanksgiving meal in a greasy spoon restaurant and so on we drove watching the sunrise and we drove and drove fleeing all the dark thoughts and confusion and hatred and revenge and fleeing Into the Night and and waking up eventually at the foothills of the Grand Canyon and became climbing up to the Grand Canyon which is like at least a mile above sea level and there was snow on the ground and The Nomad trailer I was Towing tended to fishtail on the icy Road and the automatic transmission was starting to go out and slip of climbing up to the lip of the Grand Canyon and finding a park there that was deserted and empty being November and snow on the ground and Below Zero and we parked into this cold and empty National Park parking lot and tried to stay warm without any heat in our nomad and I remember helping a couple in their motorhome like the pilot light on their heater and I remember the park director a very nice woman looking like she feels sorry for me being so alone and in a trailer that an apartment was empty in the beginning of winter and so I went to the edge of the Grand Canyon and dangled my feet over it and thought what an incredibly awesome site and what an incredibly depressing site not to have my wife children and family with me on a vacation and there was a meteor right there a huge meteorite on display that fell from the heavens sometime in the past and I would be amazed if it was still there today meteorites being so valuable and of course contemplating thinking and struggling with Suicidal Thoughts as standing and sitting at the edge of the Grand Canyon and I was odd to see all these strange names for the points of interest on the plexiglass map of the distant scenery for miles and foreign names like from India and not from any first American name that I could recall for points of interest and I gathered myself together and said my heart someday I'll be back here with my family and even though that seems impractical after some 40 years and children growing up and having grandchildren now two of which I have never seen and the son-in-law that I've never met before I was branded a pariah and a religious fanatic who dared teach from the Bible that wives should be a submission to their husbands and things like that and for the least of these things of course I was exiled from my wife's family and my wife threatened to be put under conservation instead of receiving a dowry of a few million and would be disinherited according to my late father-in-law and Marin County supervisor Ernest Nile kitten huffing and from this high point on the edge and the rim of Grand Canyon I called my father who was an expert mechanic and asked him about the slipping clutch on my car and he said take her to a garage and have them adjust the bands on the automatic transmission and lo and behold that solve the problem and we drove on from this Pinnacle and height of sheer depression and beauty and roll down to New Mexico and saw the stars in the sky that are so clear there and so Miles High and we drove and we drove and finally rolled into El Paso Texas and found an empty parking lot to park our Nomad trailer and car in and I found out later why the parking lot was empty for in the night of silhouette appeared at the photo of the window on my bank and a man started calling my name in Spanish Pedro, Pedro and then broke the window at my feet as it was like Satan following me and tormenting me all the way to El Paso and I grabbed the knife and I went to the door and I yelled what do you want and that's when he started calling my name Pedro, Pedro after breaking the window at the feet of my bunk and I thought that was me and how much more horror can a human being experience in such a short period of time of which ended up lasting for eternity and to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment