Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Thirty Years on a Hook Chapter Ten arriving in Soledad Canyon

After arriving in San Diego from Mexico and doing all I could to get help from parents to send money some food and bus many to get to Soledan Canyon I remember sitting on a bench virtually homeless and before or after or maybe the next day I tried calling my mother in law to try to talk to her about the divorce from San Diago an young sounding man picked up the phone with a slight Gay sounding lisp and said something like I was where I belonged and that he was where he belonged after tell me he was my mother in laws close and personal friend and here I am out in the cold broke and the night closing in waiting till the next day on a cold and lonely bench and has night began closing in I began  to notice all the homeless people coming out at night and never seen so many and a some point on the bench a young and cheerful apparently homeless man came up to me with a bag or somethings in his hands and said "are you hungry"? and I cant remember if it was day or night sitting on that bench and let's day it was a least dusk day or night and but probably night it was so long ago and my timelines are a little confused from memories long ago and but I remember him saying that he had just scored some still wrapped hamburgers out of a McDonalds dumpster and they were still fresh and found put years later that a shift change all the burgers were thrown out and that's how people survived and ate from M Donald's for instance. We I had never eaten dumpster food in my life except some veggies give  to cattle when visiting a cattle of dairy rance in San Fernando Valley area with my parents overnight and the ranch hand had an entire truck full of day old or discarted vegetables to feed to the cattle and we ate some of them from a grocery store or supermarket and here I was eating a couple of cheeseburgers from apparently a homeless man and I thought that I had hit bottom but the burgers were so good, when your hungry and meanwhile my traveling companion wandered off to find s ol me bushes to sleep in and the next day or before he had found some coin or coins, forgien it seems and I asked him how he finds such things for he had a nack for finding things on the ground and I asked him how does he do it ? He said from always from always looking down. So there I was al night sitting on a bench, didn't dare may dow  on it, if I remember well and even my mother on the phone said why dont I pan handel for bus fare or food and I have never pan handled in my life. So al night long I sat there watching thhe homless people wander around all night and feeling like I was I  hell and the next morning tired sleepless was able to pick up the money my parents sent for I had no credit cards and broke as hell and the next day we boarded a bus to Soledad Canyon next to Tibis Hedron's place with the hundred or more big cats including roaring lions like you couldn't believe at night and could hear them for a mile or so and by the way she was the women in the movie The Birds and her husband produced the movie The Exhorsist and so I was picked up at a bus stop and home at last on my parents forty acres and mobile home that I was told belonged to Don Wrikels the comedian who lived in it while his home was being built and my parents moved it on to thier property which was originally eight acres I  a canyon called Huges 
Canyon and maybe after Howard Hughs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment