Sunday, March 22, 2020

Thirty Years on a Hook on San Francisco Bay by Peter Romanowsky chapter six in El Paso

After rolling down from Grand Canyon and across the high desert plains of New Mexico with its brilliant night skys unabsttucted by city lights in the high desert we finally rolled into El Paso Texas past a Tavern seen across the border that a missionary said it was the Tavern in a popular song and finally finding a parking lot near downtown that was sparsely occupied by cars and settled down and eventually went downtown to get badley needed supplies like candles and food and sold my wifes gold wedding ring for scrap gold and got ten or twenty dollars cheated and it was a perfectly good gold nugget style wedding ring and I was so poor at the time we got married that my wife had to pay for the rings and that's another story and I sold my accordiain and tried to se some few pieces of silverware with a pathetic look on the face of the pawnbroker and we were out of gas. So there we sat and slept in the trailer and one night I saw a shadow of a man's head at the foot of my bunk and then I heard a crash and he was breaking the window, at my feet. I jumped up and grabbed a knife and yelled w Jim o are you and what do you wants starling the guy and then in a drunken Spanish accent voice he started calling my name in Spanish saying g Pedro, Pedro and I knew this was the Devil speaking for how did he know my name and he went away and that freaked me more thinking as far away as El Paso the Devil xwas still tormenting me or taunting me, sc o I thought this must be an important mission for the Devil, targeting me again and even here. We were  downtown in the Square of Park on a Sunday I believe and therewas a couple dressed in white gowns preachingthe Godpel and I met an aging missionary and invited him to our trailer and he got on his knees and prayed that he would have a trailer like this. He told us that he was a Missionary somewhere in South or central America when his wife left him and took his two children and moved back to the States and that they were both trained as missionaries together or something and that she worked for the goverment in Washington at one time I  the defense department or something like that and that he has been alone since working as a Missionary across the border in Ciuadad Warez and lived at the local Rescue Mission in El Paso and new a missionary friend of mine in San Jua  Del Rio eight hundred miles south of the border of which mission, we helped start. He took us across th he border to and inexpensive resturant and bought us dinners, really cheap place, with good food and as we got to the border a Mexican with a chain wrapped around his next met and greeted us, because he knew the missionary and he was big and ugly looking and we had no problems and we walked around Juarez and was suprised to find that for instance instead if cash registers they would pile thier money on the countertop show how much they After rolling down from Grand Canyon and across the high desert plains of New Mexico with its brilliant night skys unabsttucted by city lights in the high desert we finally rolled into El Paso Texas past a Tavern seen across the border that a missionary said it was the Tavern called "Rose's Cantina "from  a popular song and finally finding a parking lot near downtown that was sparsely occupied by cars and settled down and eventually went downtown to get badley needed supplies like candles and food and sold my wifes gold wedding ring for scrap gold and got ten or twenty dollars cheated and it was a perfectly good gold nugget style wedding ring and I was so poor at the time we got married that my wife had to pay for the rings and that's another story and I sold my accordiain and tried to se some few pieces of silverware with a pathetic look on the face of the pawnbroker and we were out of gas. So there we sat and slept in the trailer and one night I saw a shadow of a man's head at the foot of my bunk and then I heard a crash and he was breaking the window, at my feet. I jumped up and grabbed a knife and yelled w Jim o are you and what do you wants starling the guy and then in a drunken Spanish accent voice he started calling my name in Spanish saying g Pedro, Pedro and I knew this was the Devil speaking for how did he know my name and he went away and that freaked me more thinking as far away as El Paso the Devil xwas still tormenting me or taunting me, sc o I thought this must be an important mission for the Devil, targeting me again and even here. We were  downtown in the Square of Park on a Sunday I believe and therewas a couple dressed in white gowns preachingthe Godpel and I met an aging missionary and invited him to our trailer and he got on his knees and prayed that he would have a trailer like this. He told us that he was a Missionary somewhere in South or central America when his wife left him and took his two children and moved back to the States and that they were both trained as missionaries together or something and that she worked for the goverment in Washington at one time I  the defense department or something like that and that he has been alone since working as a Missionary across the border in Ciuadad Warez and lived at the local Rescue Mission in El Paso and new a missionary friend of mine in San Jua  Del Rio eight hundred miles south of the border of which mission, we helped start.  or were making that day. I was smoking this time by then again after having and extremely hard time quiting just before the divorce and the cigarettes were dirt cheap, called Pharoes. It was a strange world across the border, newspapers showed blood and graphic violence onthier front pages, Mexican youth would for instance would stand on the sidewalk in front of a ladies laungury store to find mental and or emotional support fro. visions of the opposite sex  and  everyone seemed friendly and no sign of the  horrors that that would come later as the murder capital of the world? Later my missionary friend Robert Brown of Mission Dios Es Amour from San Juan Del Rio met us miraculously was I  town and somehow, we found each other and invited him and his young Mexican wife to our trailer and tried to get a reassuring  hug from her  and she was devastated. by the news of the divorce also, because my wife processed all the non profit donations to the mission, through our Church orginization of which was Vice Presient of called the New Covenannt Evangelistic Association Incorporated and was understandably alarmed, or concerned about future funding, which never changed. They invited me to go back deep i to Mexico with them, but Ieft two boats anchored in California and o e was in Sausalito at anchor andhad a leak in it and the other anchored in Monterey ...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment